Monday, May 2, 2011

Angel of Mercy

An Angel of Mercy visited me recently and provided me with a very large amount of medicine, in various forms. From hash, a joint, and several types of medical quality medicine to some trimmings, it was the nicest and most loving thing I have ever seen anyone do. I am very thankful for such generosity. Coming from Idaho, I do not think I have ever been in the same room with so many types, qualities, or forms of Cannabis. I can't wait til I can attend a Medical Cannabis Expo or one of the Cannabis Cups!

The first night was full of wonderful relief. I was able to sleep comfortably, wake up peacefully, and even use the facilities without too much pain. (My condition causes extraordinary amounts of pain if my bladder is full, filling, or being emptied.) It was exactly what I had been wanting.

I was able to complete some chores that had been piling up, homework that I had gotten behind on, and even decided to make my first ever batch of Cannabutter. I found a great recipe from the Cannabis Chef and very successfully created quite a bit.

Today, while I was deciding what to have for breakfast, I saw the Cannabutter in the fridge and decided to give it a try. I have had Cannabutter in cookies, and have had cannabis in lotion, lipgloss, and tincture. But I have never made my own Cannabutter, or cooked with Cannabutter. The medicated edibles were always premade when I bought them.

I decided to try cooking with the Cannabutter, rather than baking with it just yet. I wanted to see how strong my batch of butter was. So I made scrambled eggs, using Cannabutter and cheddar cheese, and toast with Cannabutter and raspberry jam. You can definitely taste the Cannabis, but it was very good.

I noticed afterwards that my pain was better than it had been in a very long time. I got quite a bit more set up in our new house, laundry done, and even was able to go on a walk and play on a playground with my family. The relief was instense, and when I was out of meds I could not have imagined feeling so good. Just like I forget how much it hurts when I have medicine, I forget how much it feels better when I run out for a long period.

My body felt really good, and I didn't really approach that level of "high" that occurs frequently with smoking Cannabis. But my favorite part... I didn't have to smoke as often as I would have. I was able to spend more time with my child, rather than hiding out to take my medicine.

That's the problem with the stigma that surrounds Cannabis as medicine, especially coming from a Non-Medical state. We always feel we have to hide. I remember when I was very young, probably around 5 or 6, and my adoptive Mother was using a Nebulizer to deliver medication to her lungs. (She had Cystic Fibrosis). I remember sitting in her lap, as she used the Nebulizer, and playing with the mist that came out the end of the device.

So, what is the difference between my medication and hers? Other than the legalities, the only difference is that the medication coming out of the end of the Nebulizer was that it was a pharmaceutical bronchiodilator, mucus thinner, or antibiotic which probably contained compounds that were not healthy for a six year old to be playing with.

If I sat with my child in my lap, smoking Cannabis, I would be labeled a criminal and told that I endanger my child. Cannabis contains ZERO harmful compounds. It would be much safer for a child to play in Cannabis smoke than to play in the byproducts of nebulized medications, such as Colistin. Drugs like Colisitin have side affects that  include symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, visual disturbance, numbness, facial paraethesia, vertigo, vasomotor instability, slurred speech, psychosis, hypersensitivity, local irritation, apnoea (transient cessation of respiration), diarrhea, stomach cramping, fever, or even liver and kidney failure.

Cannabis does not have such risks, and has a toxicity level of 40,000:1, which means it would take 40,000 times the normal dosage to induce death.

I can take pharmaceutical medication, smoke a cigarette, or drink alcohol with a child in my arms, and although I would get some pretty nasty looks, no one would call the cops. No one would try to take my child away. But smoke a harmless joint around a child, and you face years in prison for child endangerment, and your child faces years away from their mother, possibly amongst strangers.

Can't anyone see the hypocrisy in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment